It’s always okay to ask questions, so here are the answers to the ones we hear the most. Can’t find your answer here? It’s probably in the student handbook, or just hang tight and ask us during school hours.
- What does the term “alternative school” mean, and what makes HMA different from a traditional high school like CHS?
- Am I eligible to apply? And if so, how do I apply?
- What are the school hours?
- What should I do if I am going to be absent?
- What is job shadowing?
- What is PowerSchool? And how do I get my user ID?
What does the term “alternative school” mean, and what makes HMA different from a traditional high school like CHS?
We understand that the comprehensive high school experience is not one-size-fits-all. We created HMA as an alternative, or different, approach to the traditional track offered at CHS.
HMA is different from CHS for many reasons:
- You choose to attend CHS.
- With a maximum enrollment of 32 students (all grade levels combined), we are able to provide individualized graduation plans, guidance, and support one-on-one.
- We offer students unique opportunities such as job shadowing and internships.
- We respect and value our students as intelligent human beings capable of making good choices and taking responsibility for their actions.
- We aren’t just about academics; we take concern in the health, safety, and security of whole student— socially, emotionally, and academically.
Am I eligible to apply? And if so, how do I apply?
If you are a student in Park County School District entering high school (grades 9–12), have the desire to work with us as your partner in education, and are willing to take responsibility for your actions, you are eligible to apply.
To get the process started, stop by the Application and Registration page and download our application.
What are the school hours?
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday:
8:00 a.m. to 3:20 p.m.
Thursday (late start):
8:20 a.m. to 3:20 p.m.
Friday (early release):
8:00 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.
Print our bell schedule for quick reference.
What should I do if I am going to be absent?
Give our office a call at (307) 527.1028 by 9:00 a.m.
Remember: After six countable absences, you will be under contract; after 11 countable absences, we can potentially drop you from enrollment. You have one day to complete makeup work for each day missed.
What is job shadowing?
Job shadowing is just one program that makes HMA unique from other schools. There is no better way to learn about something than to dive right in, so we corroborate with local businesses for you to observe or “shadow” someone doing their job. You will interact with people in the fields you are interested in, which will help you to make informed, educated choices about your future.
What is PowerSchool? And how do I get my user ID?
PowerSchool is one more tool we use to connect with you. You may look up your grades and track your absences in near real-time. Need a user ID? Just ask at the front office, and we’ll get you on your way.